Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mikrotik lhg lte6 or iskra p58 mimo
Hi, i have purchased a tp link mr600 and am getting a maximum of about 28mbps on a mast about 15 miles away with CA, if i move outside i can get about 38mbps.The mast only has bands 3 and 20 so what would i be better with, the mikrotik has about 5dbi gain at 800mhz and about 14.5dbi at 1800mhz.The Iskras have about 10dbi at 800mhz and about 11dbi at 1800mhz.Is it better to go for the bigger boost of band 3 or the iskras which boost both more evenly, thanks.
As I don't know what your band 3 signal reading is, I would choose the Iskra p-58 log antennae, especially if you currently have no outdoor antenna.

MikroTik's LHG series of dish antennae are intended for picking up a very weak band 3 signal or where there are two band 3 masts within a close angle of each other to isolate one from interference of the other. While these are very effective on band 3, they perform poor on band 20, even in a good signal area as the dish is unable to concentrate the longer wavelength. The Iskra p-58 on the other hand works well on band 20.

If you have an Android phone on the same network, you can try the App Network Cell Info to check your signal readings outside. Go into the RAW tab and see what the RSRP is for band 3 if it picks up this band. If the band 3 signal is -110dBm or more negative, then the MikroTik dish antenna would be worth getting for the additional gain.
[attachment=320 Wrote:Seán pid='866' dateline='1614452455']As I don't know what your band 3 signal reading is, I would choose the Iskra p-58 log antennae, especially if you currently have no outdoor antenna. 

MikroTik's LHG series of dish antennae are intended for picking up a very weak band 3 signal or where there are two band 3 masts within a close angle of each other to isolate one from interference of the other.  While these are very effective on band 3, they perform poor on band 20, even in a good signal area as the dish is unable to concentrate the longer wavelength.  The Iskra p-58 on the other hand works well on band 20. 

If you have an Android phone on the same network, you can try the App Network Cell Info to check your signal readings outside.  Go into the RAW tab and see what the RSRP is for band 3 if it picks up this band.  If the band 3 signal is -110dBm or more negative, then the MikroTik dish antenna would be worth getting for the additional gain.

Just been reading about the problems with the mikrotik lhg dropping the connection when aggregating bands 3 and 20, would it be faster on just 3 than the iskras aggregating 3 and 20, i suppose there not really any way of knowing without trying it.
These are readings from having the router outside last night, i can only seem to get readings for band 3 as the mr600 does not have band selection out the box and to get it means using beta software.As a seeming quirk of this it will not connect when i select just band 20 but aggregates 20 and 3 when they are both selected, it will connect with just 3 but significantly slower.It also displays 3, 20 as the bands no matter what bands are selected.

From the two readings you've posted, band 3 has much higher congestion than band 20. In your second screenshot from the TP-Link router, this is clearer with the combination of a poor RSRQ and a good SINR. The RSRQ gets more negative as the cell load increases. This is also confirmed where you mention your speed is significantly slower when connected to band 3 only.

I'm actually surprised seeing higher congestion on band 3 as I've mainly seen this the other way around due to band 20 having better propagation and penetration through building walls. It likely means there are heavier data users nearer the mast.

This means I recommend avoiding the MikroTik LHG dish as even a good strong signal on band 3 will do little to counteract congestion on the band. The Iskra p-58 on the other hand will at least improve your band 20 signal, which should improve your speed. You'll probably only see the benefit with the stronger band 3 signal during off peak time such as early in the day.
(28/02/2021, 02:38 PM)Seán Wrote: From the two readings you've posted, band 3 has much higher congestion than band 20.  In your second screenshot from the TP-Link router, this is clearer with the combination of a poor RSRQ and a good SINR.  The RSRQ gets more negative as the cell load increases.  This is also confirmed where you mention your speed is significantly slower when connected to band 3 only. 

I'm actually surprised seeing higher congestion on band 3 as I've mainly seen this the other way around due to band 20 having better propagation and penetration through building walls.  It likely means there are heavier data users nearer the mast.

This means I recommend avoiding the MikroTik LHG dish as even a good strong signal on band 3 will do little to counteract congestion on the band.  The Iskra p-58 on the other hand will at least improve your band 20 signal, which should improve your speed.  You'll probably only see the benefit with the stronger band 3 signal during off peak time such as early in the day.

Thanks, ill need to get an external antenna at any rate because i gain nearly 10mbps just by having the router outside the window.I got some pictures of the speeds followed by the readings at 2:30am and 7:30pm, only thing is im not 100% that the router isnt displaying the figures for band 20 although i did lock it to band 3 only and got the exact same figures.Does this confirm that it is congestion causing the lower speeds, thanks again.

As your router just displays one reading for the RSRP, RSRQ and SINR, this would be for the primary band it is connected on, i.e. band 3. So whether you set it to band 3 only or band 3+20, it will show the same RSRP, RSRQ and SINR readings for the primary band 3.

The following is a screenshot from another thread where I display some readings from a Netgear M1 and a MikroTik Chateau LTE12. In these, each router shows the readings for each band it's connected on, apart from the SINR which is just for the primary band:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=295]

If you were able to set the router to band 20 only or the router connected on band 20 and aggregated with band 3, then the readings it shows would be for band 20.
(01/03/2021, 10:49 PM)Seán Wrote: As your router just displays one reading for the RSRP, RSRQ and SINR, this would be for the primary band it is connected on, i.e. band 3.  So whether you set it to band 3 only or band 3+20, it will show the same RSRP, RSRQ and SINR readings for the primary band 3. 

The following is a screenshot from another thread where I display some readings from a Netgear M1 and a MikroTik Chateau LTE12.  In these, each router shows the readings for each band it's connected on, apart from the SINR which is just for the primary band:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=295]

If you were able to set the router to band 20 only or the router connected on band 20 and aggregated with band 3, then the readings it shows would be for band 20.
Just tried and i think due to band selection being beta it doesnt matter which band is primary it still shows band 3, 20 and the figures are identical.This is also the case when it is locked to 3 only although it obviously takes effect as 4g+ is not available and the speeds drop significantly.Bit of a pain realy, that and the fact that this router wont give a cell id.Should of reaserched more before choosing a router.
Landed up going for the iskras, here are my speeds.
router inside 

router out on window ledge 

antennas

delighted with the improvement
That sure is a great improvement. Cool

If that antenna test was in the evening, you'll could get over 100Mbps during the day depending on the mast's backhaul capacity.
(15/03/2021, 06:23 PM)Seán Wrote: That sure is a great improvement. Cool

If that antenna test was in the evening, you'll could get over 100Mbps during the day depending on the mast's backhaul capacity.
Yup

Got a bit of a strange issue, I did my initial speed tests before I had mounted the antennas using an old mop handle. When I put them up I found I could not achieve the same speeds even though they are higher up. I spent a few hours trying to fine tune it and seemed to be going backwards until I decided just for the heck of it to point them down at the ground at about 40%. Strangely the signal got better and my speed increased, anyone ever had anything like this, presumably the signal is bouncing off the ground up to the antennas .
That seems to indicate that you are picking interference from another more distant mast at that height. The tilting down giving better speed is also a good indicator that this is happening as tilting the antennae down would reduce the signals picked up from further away.

In this case, I suggest try mounting the antennae lower down, i.e. high enough that a person or vehicle (if above a driveway) will not bump into. You can then try tiling them down 10-20% to try getting the maximum speed, i.e. where it minimises interference from further away masts while still picking up good RSRP and SINR readings.