Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible fixed wireless setup/How I'd go about it
Since Three are probably going to leave me with no options on the table, other than suffering with the poor speeds... Say for example, I can only think of two people I know that live in fibre areas that might do it  but if I asked someone to have a fiber connection added to their home , could I try broadcasting it back up here via wireless? Would it be doable and if so , like how far/what would you need?

The first choice id have (closest) example would be 1.95 KM away and I think i'd have direct line of sight pretty much , if not the hill that may be blocking me is only  few meters directly infront me and we own the land there so could probably just put the dish there. I saw people using setups with solar power and using wifi links to take a fiber connection from someones home in a town, back to a rural area. I'm starting to wonder should I try something like this. 

The second person I had in mind lives in gweedore so there's a huge hill in the way, i'd assume you'd have to have a dish at the house, one on the hill and another at the house with the fiber connection. Is any of this realistically possible? And if it was, what would be the best way of doing it / would the speeds be affected much from the distance? 1.95 KM direct line of sight for the first option, and the second option , would be 5.39 KM directly , but there would be a huge hill in the way, so something would probably have to be solar powered on top of the hill if that is even a realistic option, but at this stage, drastic measures is the only way i'm going to get a decent connection Big Grin   

Would three or any other operator be doing things like fixed wireless access? now that 5G is a thing, it could be more realistic? I dont know anything really about it but from researching some stuff, it looks doable.
For a building to building point-to-point, you would need a pair of Wi-Fi CPE devices, a wall mount (like for a TV antenna) for each building and outdoor rated Ethernet cable to run between the CPE device and the indoor router.

The most popular I'm aware of are the Ubiquiti LiteBeams such as the LBE-5AC-23 and LBE-5AC-Gen2, both which support 802.11ac and have Gigabit ethernet ports. This is a parabolic dish antenna with the Wi-Fi access point built-in. Like the MikroTik LHG, you just need to run an Ethernet cable to the dish and mount it on a pole and aim at the remote building and vice versa at that end.

From what I'm aware of, the Ubiquiti LiteBeams are fairly straight forward to set up and there's plenty of YouTube videos of point-to-point configurations. Once configured, they basically act like a long Ethernet cable. The best way to configure them would be to set the two up at the building with the fast broadband connection, i.e. that when you connect your laptop to the second dish, it has Internet access. The IP address of each dish should be within the network with Internet access. E.g. if their router has an IP address of 192.168.1.254, you can configure the dish IP addresses like 192.168.1.250 for one dish and 192.168.1.251 for the other. This way you can access the web interface of each.

Probably the most difficult part will be aiming them. With a 1.95km range, it shouldn't be too difficult, however, line of sight is important for the 5GHz band, so you may need to mount them high up so they can see each other. E.g. if you can see the remote house with binoculars, they should work fine and possibly deliver the full 150Mbps of a basic FTTH connection.

Point-to-point with a relay on a hill is also possible, however, there is a greater chance of running into latency spikes as your connection will be carried over two Wi-Fi links. You will also need to have suitable weatherproof housing for relay station to house the battery and a sturdy mount for the solar panels that can withstand storm force winds. I don't have any experience working with solar power, so am unsure what would be the right set up, which could be totally inadequate or complete overkill. Big Grin For example, you will need a battery large enough to keep a pair of units running 24/7 especially during dull winter days, large enough solar panels (again to compensate for dull winter daylight), a solar charge controller and the associated wiring, boost converters, PoE injectors, etc.
I wonder what's the max eir fibre can offer, do they do gigabit lines as well or is that only limited to certain areas more than a basic FTTH connection? The idea of doing this seems promising since Three probably are going to leave me stuck with this slower connection. Those litebeams only use 5 Ghz or is there a lower frequency that isn't as sensitive to line of sight, like something similar to how 800 Mhz 4G basically gets to me over hills and everything, does such a thing exist for point to point connections/wifi?

Though i'm pretty sure I should be able to see the house if I mounted the dish high up in the tree, since i'm already up on a mountain i'd be looking down toward the area where the fiber connected house would be and across a lake which is pretty much open area completely. Unless Three/Other ISP's are going to start offering a better solution I don't know what else to do other than something like this Cry

I saw this part of an article under Three's business stuff

"A connectivity challenger.
For broadband: fixed wireless access (FWA) will be one of the first 5G products and this will be a genuine challenger product to fixed broadband. In urban areas, FWA will be a viable alternative to fibre connections, and we see an even bigger potential takeup in locations such as satellite towns and rural areas that have suffered from the lack of high-speed connectivity until now. For example, on Arranmore in Donegal, we rolled out the 4G equivalent of this service and it’s had a transformative effect on the island’s businesses."

I wonder what that means ? Does that mean they'd be offering FWA to people when the release their broadband line up, (I also wonder how far away that is)
Can a normal person try get signed up to something like this or do I need to own a business? Big Grin
Both Eir and SIRO offer the 1Gbps package wherever their FTTH service is available. However, you will probably not get much higher than 300Mbps with a point-to-point 802.11ac link, at least not without perfectly clear line of sight and both antennae accurately aligned.

There are 2.4GHz kits available that are based on 802.11n, however, these are more prone to interference. I also find the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band a lot more prone to drop-outs than the 5GHz band regardless of the router brand and model and that's based on in-home Wi-Fi. Over long distance point-to-point they're prone to picking up all sorts of interference across the path, such as leaky microwave ovens, TV video senders, etc. that also operate on 2.4GHz. The maximum speed is around the 100Mbps, so most of these kits only offer 100Mbps ports.

The Three business broadband plan is probably this one:
https://www.three.ie/business/solutions/...dband-plus

Based on the info you quoted, I presume this will be their business 5G broadband plan as they don't mention much details on the website. However, it probably explains the much higher €59+VAT per month cost and a €199+VAT installation cost for their outdoor antenna.

Based on Three's regular Business unlimited mobile broadband costing €25+VAT per month (€30.25 inc. VAT, like their personal product), I reckon Three will charge €69 inc. VAT per month for their personal 5G broadband once they launch it.
Does that mean their 5G business broadband plan is live at the minute or is it still a 4G service on that plan? . If Three aren't sorting out the current issues I have with signal within the next week or two i'm probably going to go ahead pursuing point to point setup with wireless. If gigabit was available there, is there any way to carry the full potential of that network over those wireless ptp links, or is it limited to around 300 Mbps like you said? I'd say if I go to the hassle of doing this setup i'd like to get the most out of it Big Grin

I dont know what Three are even waiting on, why don't they just launch their broadband plans already. Ill try contacting them to see what they say about the plan if I can get any details or something.

Internet is the only issue i've had for years, trying to get a good reliable and consistent connection. So I can do all of the things I want without having to worry about lagging in games or not having adequate upload ... slow downloads etc. Just looking for a good solution once and for all.

https://www.three.ie/business/solutions/...sed-lines/

I just came across this as well, does that mean I could pay for something like this?
It's quite possible that it operates in 4G-only mode at present based on Three not mentioning 5G anywhere on that page. On the other hand, it would make it a rather expensive 4G connection with them charging double the monthly cost, unless it's to subsidise the cost of the equipment like getting a "Free" phone on Bill Pay.

From further searching, MikroTik does a 60GHz point-to-point link, claiming to deliver the full Gigabit Ethernet up to 1.5km. However, as 60GHz is well into the millimetre wave spectrum (like ultra-wide band 5G in the US), you definitely need perfectly clear line of sight and it also suffers from rain fade. The following is an example on a preconfigured kit on the Irish Wireless store:

https://www.irishwireless.net/wireless-o...gg-60adkit

MikroTik also does 802.11ac dishes with MIMO, which would offer similar performance to Ubiquiti's higher end PowerBeam. These are not preconfigured, so would need to be configured as a point-to-pint Wi-Fi bridge before installing. I reckon these will deliver 300+Mbps based on them claiming to handle up to 20km on the 802.11ac band:

https://www.irishwireless.net/wireless-o...gg-5acd-xl

One thing I forgot to mention is that there are limitations on 5GHz channel #s for outdoor use. You can use Wi-Fi channels 100 to 144 (3 of which are 80MHz wide), making sure they are clear first, i.e. do a Wi-Fi channel scan on each end. If for some reason they are in use or unstable, there is an additional channel range of 149 to 173 in the 5.8GHz range (1 is 80MHz wide), but requires ComReg registration.

Even if you are limited to 300Mbps over point-to-point, you'll still get a substantial improvement over 4G, i.e. extremely low latency times and possibly the same 300Mbps 24/7. The main catch is trusting the household you link to, i.e. that it's not someone that switches off everything when they head out or before bed and that they're willing to power cycle the equipment if the link goes down.
If this lease link thing is no good then yeah, i'll probably go with something like you listed here, it's a pain having to depend on other people for a connection, kind of complicates things but I am left with no options really. But this thing below three is offering, sounds a little different to the fixed wireless access thing mentioned about 5G.

I asked about this  https://www.three.ie/business/solutions/...sed-lines/ 
but they wouldn't give me any details over email and they asking to call me back about it. So i'll probably do that tmoro to see what they say. "to qualify your area"
It says it's a connection anywhere from 2 mbps up to 1 gbps depending on your needs. I wonder is that actually possible...  Do you know anything about what this is about or how it would work? It sounds promising though i'd imagine its probably expensive. Do I need to own a business to be eligible for this or is it like if you're willing to pay they'll arrange something?
At least from what I can read it sounds like something similar to my own ptp link but instead it's going directly from the house to a three mast. I couldnt find any info about it on google other than some businesses saying how it made a  massive difference for them on Three's blog.

I wonder could an arrangement be made where it's more based around being a high speed rural broadband connection, minus all the business orientated extras like the monitoring and uptime guarantee's that would knock off the price a bit too. I dont know how flexible this kind of thing is but like all I'd be wanting is a fast guaranteed reliable connection. Even if it were in the thousands range to install, if it was going to work then i'd probably do it. No idea what you'd be looking at monthly bill wise yet either.
A wireless leased line is like a point-to-point wireless link, but using managed licenced spectrum. The advantage here is that they can guarantee the bandwidth as you need a licence to use the specified band and you will not be sharing the bandwidth with anyone else.

I don't know what the cost would be, but there is no doubt it will be expensive. ComReg charges between €1500 and €2800 (+VAT) per year just for the radio licence. As for the microwave transceiver, I suggest watching this tear-down video of a 10GHz unit to see how sophisticated the RF components are inside, well worth watching. Big Grin

Another article worth checking is Eir's leased line pricing as Three is likely to be similar to compete. As a rough guide, I know a factory that was quoted about €15,000 to get a 100Mbps leased line circuit a few years ago from Open Eir.
Does that mean I have to pay for the comreg licence as well on top of whatever they charge? Probably will cost a small fortune, i'll see what he says tmoro with pricing/options.
There was so many screws and little machined lines in that antenna, seems super complicated Big Grin

I'll try ask if theres any word on 5G options but I doubt they'll say much. I really hope they can offer something though, otherwise it looks like i'll have to try get a wireless setup of my own Tongue

Found a cool channel, its in Hungarian but theres English subtitles. It shows them installing point to point stuff over long distances with high speeds, I looked up the antennas they use they dont cost anything particularly extreme for what they do. Was cool to watch some of the videos nevertheless to see how its all done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHOJHmE3...etworksKft.
I didn't really get much information other than it will cost 550-750 euro a month but I asked about three broadband plus as well. I got some info on that too.
I asked was the speeds any different on the three broadband plus plan compared to consumer broadband and he said it wasn't.
I also asked about 5G and was it included in this, he said this: "So 5G is not available on mobile broadband plus just yet, we have been told this might be next month"

So maybe there will be some 5G options next month, hopefully they offer an external antenna service like they do for their 4G plan and I can try that out. Still pestering three about the signal drop but looks like nothing being done so far. Why on earth would they lower the power its broadcasting at, or whatever they did, after months of having us enjoy those speeds. Driving me mental still.
I set up a 12Km link between my previous house and my parents back around 2009 using a couple of OSBRIDGE 5GXi-HP units.
My parents didn't have access to broadband of any kind back then but I had a 6Mbit ADSL connection that I shared with them via the 5Ghz link.
They were very simple to set up and the wireless link speed was around 50Mbit.

I was trying to figure out if I could set something similar up in my new very rural location to somewhere with a decent fibre connection,
but It wouldn't be possible without at least 1 repeater in between + I don't know anyone in the locations where the gear could be installed.  Undecided
Sounds like its the next thing I'll have to try and do, if I can convince someone I know to let me install the equipment there. Hopefully they do and eir can offer a gigabit connection there too.
Its just a matter of getting the most of the connection from there to here with the lowest latency possible Big Grin

Kind of out of options in the meantime.
I installed 2 of these below for a family friend last year. He had a "3" mobile broadband router with log antennas in his home and needed the farmyard connected. It was approx 300m away from his house. they have POE injectors but I powered them from a POE switch. This worked really well for him, speedtests were the same in the Barn as they were in the house. He gets between 30mb and 50mb in the house on MBB 750gb 3 plan.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-netw...io/cpe510/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072...UTF8&psc=1 (POE Switch)

If your neighbours are getting fibre 150mb or 1Gb then these will do you nicely i'd imagine.

You could power the switches with a cloud wifi plug at either end, maybe allowing yourself remote access for reboots. Just a thought.
These will do up to 10km.
https://signalsolution.novatel.ie/tenda-...ess-bridge
I have similar working to connect to ip camera in a shed. They work very well and are inexpensive.
Was thinking of doing something similar for a neighbour with solar. Definitely a good option if neighbours are willing to share a good connection. Or maybe mount your own wireless setup with aerial and router on their property if have signal.
Heard something before about sharing a connection, if one person is involved in online illegal activity it comes back to the person who is paying the bill.. hopefully unlikely but something to consider.
I like the idea with the wifi plug if that'd work, would save asking them to reboot for me Big Grin still giving Three the benefit of the doubt for now since they're saying they're still working on the mast , so if they don't do anything with it soon then i'll be going with this wifi setup if they'll agree to do it that is. It does say eir fibre is available in the area, so I assume they offer the 150mb/1Gb plan. How much do they even charge for the 1Gb plan I wonder?

I'd be 1.95 KM away from the house i'd want to connect it with , kind of have line of sight too across a lake.