Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chateau 5G internal/external antennas modifications
Hllo everyone, i've recently started my journey in the world of LTE Routers ( or routers in general ) and after some bad luck with some huaweis ( and after i started to figure out what bands etc are ) i decided to buy a chateau 5g after seeing that a couple of BTS one around 500meters from my home has the N78 and i liked the idea of being able to configure all the little parts of it 

these are the bands the closest BTS from me has

[Image: 1dIy7El.png]

in my house there is not great signal in the best spot i barely manage to get 50mbps with the phone while if i go on the roof i can go from 150 to 200mbps on certain areas inside my property i can even go up to 260/270mbps so i thought bingo!

Bought the router, tried it outside and he didn't disappointed me doing 230/250mbps with only the base configuration, when i took it inside he did better than the phone with 70 / 100-120mbps in the best spot close to a window.

The thing is that i don't want it in that spot i need it to be in the center of the house where there's barely any signal, so i dedided to also buy an external antenna ( the Kaser LPDA ) after i installed it outised i put the router in that isolated spot connected the antennas and i was a bit disappointed cuz he only did from 50 to 70mbps which was good i guess since it was the worst spot in the house and i couldn't get any signal with the phone there

But when i checked the bands he was only using the B3 and the N78 sometimes the B20 as well ( at that time i didn't knew the external antennas only work with the 5g ) so i was like hmm  Dodgy

Now the NR signals are not the best wven when i point the antennas carefully to the BTS Confused 
While if i point them on the opposite direction they're like all excellent i get like 20 NR SINR / -82 NR RSRP  Huh

( these are with the bunny antennas not with the kaser installed cuz in the current spot i can't install them )

Now in the current spot at the window this is the current situation ( with this i can get from 70 to 120mbps )

[Image: Razr0Jz.jpg]

If i move it a little ouside the window i can easily go from 120 ( worst case ) to 200+ (best case) i assume if i put the kaser in the spot where i get the good gainst i can even hit the 300 maybe....

[Image: LAzl6R2.jpg]

now since as i said i can't keep it in that spot i was thinking of buying another external antenna for the 4g part that in the spot where i need it to be is terrible now i saw there are various configurations in this post
https://confusedbird.com/thread-119.html

but i have yet to figure out what that MIMO thing is all about and apparently u have to put them in a certain way depending on what u need ?

Can someone give me a tip ?
Going by your 4G/5G band readings, you are getting about 3 times more bandwidth on the 4G bands (65MHz) than the 5G band (20MHz), so it is well worth modding the router to improve the 4G bands. For comparison, the three main network operators here in Ireland operate 5G with between 80MHz and 100MHz on band n78. As you currently pick up 4G on band 3, that network uses DSS to share the bandwidth between 4G and 5G band n3, so I wouldn't worry about trying to get 5G band n3.

For modding, I suggest connecting modem ports A0 and A1 to the empty antenna socket openings using two U.fl to SMA pigtail leads (example). Then attach your external 4G antenna to this.

It is quite possible you are getting the 5G band from a different mast based on your signal reading improving with the antenna aimed the other direction. I know the Three operator here in Ireland does the same where there is one main mast serving the 5G band n78, which can pair with any of the neighbouring masts for the 4G bands. So I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with the 4G antenna pointing a different direction to the 5G antenna. I suggest start by pointing the 4G antenna the same direction you got the best signal with the 5G antenna just in case the mast in that direction is stronger as there could be something obstructing the closer mast.
(10/09/2022, 04:32 PM)Seán Wrote: Going by your 4G/5G band readings, you are getting about 3 times more bandwidth on the 4G bands (65MHz) than the 5G band (20MHz), so it is well worth modding the router to improve the 4G bands.  For comparison, the three main network operators here in Ireland operate 5G with between 80MHz and 100MHz on band n78.  As you currently pick up 4G on band 3, that network uses DSS to share the bandwidth between 4G and 5G band n3, so I wouldn't worry about trying to get 5G band n3. 

For modding, I suggest connecting modem ports A0 and A1 to the empty antenna socket openings using two U.fl to SMA pigtail leads (example).  Then attach your external 4G antenna to this. 

It is quite possible you are getting the 5G band from a different mast based on your signal reading improving with the antenna aimed the other direction.  I know the Three operator here in Ireland does the same where there is one main mast serving the 5G band n78, which can pair with any of the neighbouring masts for the 4G bands.  So I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with the 4G antenna pointing a different direction to the 5G antenna.  I suggest start by pointing the 4G antenna the same direction you got the best signal with the 5G antenna just in case the mast in that direction is stronger as there could be something obstructing the closer mast.

Thanks for the tips! ( i'm from italy btw )

I bought these cables they should be arriving tomorrow......

So A0 and A1 to the empty antennas! 

While on the A4 and A5 i should keep the bunny antennas right ?

As for the closer mast there's really nothing obstructing it from my roof it's clearly visible there's just one tree in between
That's correct, connect A0 and A1 to the empty SMA slots.

You can leave A4 and A5 as they are, just attach the rabbit ears to the external SMA ports.

It's worth trying both directions for the 4G. If you pick up two different cell IDs with good RSRP and SINR readings, you can run speed tests to see which performs better.

Hopefully all goes well with the modding.
(10/09/2022, 08:25 PM)Seán Wrote: That's correct, connect A0 and A1 to the empty SMA slots. 

You can leave A4 and A5 as they are, just attach the rabbit ears to the external SMA ports.

It's worth trying both directions for the 4G.  If you pick up two different cell IDs with good RSRP and SINR readings, you can run speed tests to see which performs better. 

Hopefully all goes well with the modding.

Thanks bro, i'll let you know tomorrow how it went, hope i won't break anything Tongue
Ok looks like it worked and i didn't broke anything xD

cables are a little long but i guess it's fine 

[Image: 6RPcRqs.jpeg]

4g is definetly better and the antenna is not even in an optimal position later ill put it on the roof 

[Image: xhYPqGI.jpeg]

i did a speed test and it was somewhat good 120mbps and the upload went very high as well up to 30mbps i tried removing the 5g cuz i saw in one of your posts saying that it might limit the 4g if the signal is poor but nothing changed in better in fact the speeds went a little lower but the ping went higher ( from 46 to below 30 ) 

i'm geting the B3 + B1 + B20 + B7 + N78

Alright put it in the " bad spot " and with the b3 or b7 as primary it wasn't that good like i hardly got past 30mbps but i got the b38 and i can get up to 60/80mbps 

[Image: 8p29QcZ.png]

i think if i get another kaser OR use this kaser for the 5g and a cheaper one for the 4g i can get to the long awaited 200+mbps