Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New eir payg sim no 4g connection.
Hello and a very Happy New year to one and all,So I recently got a new eir pay sim for my router got it up and running and no 4g connection only 3g connection I rang eir and went to a eir shop they said the sim is perfect nothing wrong,Got my mate around he's on eir network put his sim in router bingo 4g straight away and very good download speeds,put my sim in his phone and still the same only 3g connection we then compared apn settings and both were the exact same I'm out of ideas now if anyone could shed some light on this I'd be more than great full thanks .
This seems like 4G is not provisioned on the SIM. Usually 4G is provisioned after the plan is activated. Assuming you purchased the SIM with the €20 plan, it should already be active. It's not an APN issue as a wrong APN would still show a 4G signal, but with no Internet connectivity.

What I do know with Eir is that it does not like being forced into 4G only mode. For example, if I set my phone to "LTE only" in its service menu, it will often lead to it showing no signal. When I set it back to automatic, it will connect to either 2G or 3G and remain like this for several minutes before it goes back into 4G mode. Both Vodafone and Three appear to have no problem being forced into 4G only mode, although this blocks voice calls due to no VoLTE on prepay.

You can try the following on your router:
  • Set it to 2G only mode if it has this option. After a minute, set it back to automatic.
  • Go into manual network search and choose either Vodafone or Three in the list. When it fails to register, set it back to automatic.

Alternatively, try getting a lend of an unlocked or Eir phone that you can bring to the Eir shop to show the problem. To start with, leave the SIM in the phone for at least 10 minutes to see if it switches over to 4G. You can also try the above with the phone, e.g. set it to 2G only mode for a minute, then back to automatic. If there's no 2G option, dial *#*#4636#*#* to bring up the service menu (some phones such as LG disable this) and there should be a network selection with a 2G or GSM only option. From my past experience with Meteor (before the Eir rebranding a few years back), I sometimes had to force it into 2G mode briefly before it would switch to 4G.
Many thanks for your reply sean I will give this a go and will let you know how I get on cheers.
(01/01/2022, 12:50 PM)scannerman2021 Wrote: Many thanks for your reply sean I will give this a go and will  let you know how I get on cheers.

After carrying out the tips and advice you game me sean nothing has worked to my avail.I tried the sim in a unlocked phone and my router it connects to 3g no problem at all when try 4g  on manual and auto it won't connect to 4g just says registration failed and auto it just connects to 3g.Was thinking it may be a dodgy sim and I topped up €20 so the sim is fully activated.Its a weird one.
(01/01/2022, 02:09 PM)scannerman2021 Wrote:
(01/01/2022, 12:50 PM)scannerman2021 Wrote: Many thanks for your reply sean I will give this a go and will  let you know how I get on cheers.

After carrying out the tips and advice you game me sean nothing has worked to my avail.I tried the sim in a unlocked phone and my router it connects to 3g no problem at all when try 4g  on manual and auto it won't connect to 4g just says registration failed and auto it just connects to 3g.Was thinking it may be a dodgy sim and I topped up €20 so the sim is fully activated.Its a weird one.

Did you ever sort that Eir sim 4G problem scannerman2021?[b][url=https://confusedbird.com/user-152.html][/url][/b]
Same issue here, I followed Seans advice about going to 2G, and while it does flash 4G then for fraction of a second on Netmonster, it reverts to 3G. Gomo phone next to it on 4G. Don't have a local Eir shop, will try ringing them.
Hi Sean, set up Eir 4G SIM and Mikrotik router for someone. Getting 90mbps down, upload is low 10 to 0.5.  Person works from home on video calls. Fine first week, however dropping calls now. What could be causing this?
Had broadband on land line, 5mbps,  was doing similar
That upload speed seems to indicate it's switching between two different primary bands. Try locking it to one band at a time and run a few speed tests to see which give the fastest and most consistent upload speed, even if it means sacrificing some download speed. Eir uses bands 1, 3, 20 and 28.

If that's a prepay SIM, it's possible he went over the 120GB allowance.
(19/01/2022, 05:51 PM)Seán Wrote: That upload speed seems to indicate it's switching between two different primary bands.  Try locking it to one band at a time and run a few speed tests to see which give the fastest and most consistent upload speed, even if it means sacrificing some download speed.  Eir uses bands 1, 3, 20 and 28.

If that's a prepay SIM, it's possible he went over the 120GB allowance.

Hi Sean, tried locking bands, no difference, still dropping teams video calls.

Attaching few screen shots
This when tried to do speed test on Ookla  after call dropped

And Lte1 is missing when dropped, I use same same router at home, never saw this to happen

Also got these

That looks like the modem is faulty as it should not disappear from the interfaces list like that. The lte1 reply timeouts also suggests a hardware problem with the modem. Just to rule out a buggy firmware version, try updating the firmware. First run the following command to check the installed firmware version against the latest version:

/interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1

If the latest firmware is newer, run the following command to install the new firmware:

/interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1 upgrade=yes

Check the location of the router that it's not near a heater or overheating (e.g. curtain covering it, etc.) as this could cause the modem to drop out until it cools down.

If the modem still keeps dropping out, I suggest getting the router replaced, particularly if it's under warranty.

Going by the SINR and RSRQ graphs, the signal quality is stable. However, even if the signal is week or drops out, it would not cause the modem to disappear from the interface list.

Edit: One more thing to check - If there are no antennas attached to the router, check that it is set to use its internal antennas, i.e. go into the System menu -> RouterBOARD, then click Settings. If it's set to external antennas without any antenna attached, a large portion of the transmitted signals will bounce back into the modem, which can cause it to glitch or possible even damage it. If it's the Chateau 5G model (which does not have an antenna setting), it must have external antennas attached.
(24/01/2022, 06:09 PM)Seán Wrote: That looks like the modem is faulty as it should not disappear from the interfaces list like that.  The lte1 reply timeouts also suggests a hardware problem with the modem.  Just to rule out a buggy firmware version, try updating the firmware.  First run the following command to check the installed firmware version against the latest version:

/interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1

If the latest firmware is newer, run the following command to install the new firmware:

/interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1 upgrade=yes

Check the location of the router that it's not near a heater or overheating (e.g. curtain covering it, etc.) as this could cause the modem to drop out until it cools down. 

If the modem still keeps dropping out, I suggest getting the router replaced, particularly if it's under warranty. 

Going by the SINR and RSRQ graphs, the signal quality is stable.  However, even if the signal is week or drops out, it would not cause the modem to disappear from the interface list.

Edit: One more thing to check - If there are no antennas attached to the router, check that it is set to use its internal antennas, i.e. go into the System menu -> RouterBOARD, then click Settings.  If it's set to external antennas without any antenna attached, a large portion of the transmitted signals will bounce back into the modem, which can cause it to glitch or possible even damage it.  If it's the Chateau 5G model (which does not have an antenna setting), it must have external antennas attached.

Many thanks for your help again Sean. A different router is performing fine, and did firmware upgrade on other, seems to be working ok at home now.
(11/01/2022, 11:02 PM)Patrick Wrote:
(01/01/2022, 02:09 PM)scannerman2021 Wrote:

Did you ever sort that Eir sim 4G problem scannerman2021?[b][url=https://confusedbird.com/user-152.html][/url][/b]
Same issue here, I followed Seans advice about going to 2G, and while it does flash 4G then for fraction of a second on Netmonster, it reverts to 3G. Gomo phone next to it on 4G. Don't have a local Eir shop, will try ringing them.
Yes it was a faulty sim the whole time.
(19/01/2022, 04:50 PM)Patrick Wrote: Hi Sean, set up Eir 4G SIM and Mikrotik router for someone. Getting 90mbps down, upload is low 10 to 0.5.  Person works from home on video calls. Fine first week, however dropping calls now. What could be causing this?
Had broadband on land line, 5mbps,  was doing similar

Hi Sean, after the issue with the Mikrotik router, I replaced it with a Huawei 535. Still having issues with video calls pausing. Calls don't drop and other person doesn't notice the pause. I have contacted Eir to see if they have any answers.
This issue is likely with Eir's network serving the mast, especially as you've tried multiple routers and the signal readings are adequate. As the video going out is uninterrupted, this indicates packet loss on the incoming route, which could be something like a faulty network switch, fibre transceiver, etc along the backhaul. Seems similar to this issue I had a few years ago.